Wednesday, March 10, 2010

RIP Corey

I just logged into my email to read that my most favorite of ALL time actor Corey Haim died this morning. I am just in shock and very sad.





BURBANK, Calif. — Corey Haim, a 1980s teen heartthrob for his roles in Lucas and The Lost Boys whose career was blighted by drug abuse, has died. He was 38.
Haim died early Wednesday at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, Los Angeles County coroner's Lt. Cheryl MacWillie said.

"As he got out of bed, he felt a little weak and went down to the floor on his knees," Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said. His mother called paramedics.

An autopsy will determine Haim's cause of death. There was no evidence of foul play, police Sgt. Michael Kammert said.

Haim, who gained attention for his roles in "Lucas" and "The Lost Boys," had flulike symptoms before he died and was getting over-the-counter and prescription medications, police Sgt. William Mann said.

"He could have succumbed to whatever (illness) he had or it could have been drugs," Mann said. "He has had a drug problem in the past."

Haim was taken by ambulance to the hospital from an apartment in Los Angeles near Burbank. The enormous complex is known as Oakwood and is popular with young actors, Kammert said.

Haim acknowledged his struggle with drug abuse to The Sun in 2004.

"I was working on Lost Boys when I smoked my first joint," he told the British tabloid.

"I did cocaine for about a year and a half, then it led to crack," he said.

Haim said he went into rehabilitation and was put on prescription drugs. He took both stimulants and sedatives such as Valium.

"I started on the downers which were a hell of a lot better than the uppers because I was a nervous wreck," he said. "But one led to two, two led to four, four led to eight, until at the end it was about 85 a day."

In 2007, he told ABC's Nightline that drugs hurt his career.

"I feel like with myself I ruined myself to the point where I wasn't functional enough to work for anybody, even myself. I wasn't working," he said.

The Toronto-born actor got his start in television commercials at 10 and earned a good reputation for his work in such films as 1985's Murphy's Romance and his portrayal of Liza Minelli's dying son in the 1985 television film A Time to Live.

His career peaked and he became a teen heartthrob with his roles in the 1986 movie Lucas, and The Lost Boys, in which he battled vampires.

In later years, he made a few TV appearances and had several direct-to-video movies. He also had a handful of recent movies that have not yet been released.

But in 1997 he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, listing debts for medical expenses and more than $200,000 in state and federal taxes.

His assets included a few thousand dollars in cash, clothing and royalty rights.

In recent years, he appeared in the A&E reality TV show The Two Coreys with his friend Corey Feldman. It was canceled in 2008 after two seasons. Feldman later said Haim's drug abuse strained their working and personal relationships.

In a 2007 interview on CNN's Larry King Live, Haim called himself "a chronic relapser for the rest of my life."

Prayers for his friends and family!

6 comments:

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

I was shocked to read about Corey, too.
hopefully he is at peace now.

Tamera
thestonefencecottage.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I was saddened by this also.
As a teanager of the '80's, I remember the Corey's quite well. And the Lost Boys is still one of my all time favorite films.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Tam

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Me too! I'm so sad that he wasn't able to overcome his addictions. Sending prayers out to his family, loved ones and his fans too.
RIP Corey.

Sandy said...

I was shocked also. As Tammy mentioned, I think we had crushes on the two Corey's. It's just so sad!

Cindy's Stitching said...

I was also upset about the news. He was one of my favorites. May he finally has peace.

Donna said...

I sure dont know where I have been,,, because I honestly have'nt the slightest clue who he was.My husband ca'nt believe I do'nt know who he was either. But I do'nt... but my heart goes out to his family..as it does with anyone who suffers such a loss. ,,, Donna